Sunday, February 3, 2008

Editor's Note

I’ve been thinking a lot about choices. The choices we make—how each choice is also a choice to not do something else.

When I was at BYU our news director would gather us after a newscast for a post mortem. These post mortems would last until 9 or 10 pm. We’d talk about how our stories came across, what we did to provide perspective, and how to deliver information with truth.

There was this one post mortem where I remember vividly how our news director told us that any of us could “make it” in the business. Any one of us could achieve whatever success we wanted, but, what were we willing to give up?

That lesson stuck with me.

Every decision we make moves us somewhere, along some path. There are many good paths. There are many not so good paths. Which path do we choose? When it comes down to it—our destiny is not in anyone else’s hands, or even God’s hands—He has given us that gift—to choose. Do we choose the path of truth?

These decisions come in the spouse we marry, the job we take or the career we leave behind. The children we bring into the world—the level of material goods we acquire, the facades we choose to put on or never wear. Each is a choice. That is why I don’t feel envious of people who may or may not have more, according to society’s standards. I know that if I really wanted to—I could achieve whatever I wanted. My goals may be the same or different than someone else’s goals. They will vary from season-to-season. That ability to choose keeps us free.

We’ve been hearing a lot about good, better, best. I especially loved Allison Wentzel’s lesson in Relief Society about Mary and Martha. I’m inspired by good people who strive each day to make the right choices for their situations, their families, their own souls. These are the kind of people that inspire me. The pages of this newsletter are filled with people like that. We have a ward with people like that. I am so grateful for the folks that have given a part of themselves, their time to share photos, stories, thoughts, ideas in this issue, and in past issues. I hope everyone realizes that you all have an open invitation to submit to this ward newsletter. If you’re one that needs a formal invitation—this is it. You have the right to choose.

Choose to inspire, understand, and discard with pride and excuses. Let’s be better. Let’s follow our Prophet in his counsel. Hinckley was one of the greatest at understanding us in our simplicity. He just wanted us to be a little better, try a little harder… and that, that I can do.

Look forward to seeing more of you in the next newsletter.

Cheers,
Stephanie Huang Porter

No comments: