Sunday, February 3, 2008

January - February 2008 Edition

Volume 4, Issue 1

Bishop's Office: Taking Stock

By Todd Dudley

We just enjoyed a wonderful ward conference during which we heard President Norman talk about the stake theme, "Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it" (Psalms 127:1). I felt prompted to reevaluate my own life and home. There are so many areas to look at: media, family time, sacred time. For example, how often do I immerse myself in the scriptures? Not as often as I immerse myself in music, movies, or TV, unfortunately.

Perhaps I should scrutinize the media that I enjoy, using this standard given by Elder Bednar: "The standard is clear. If something we think, see, hear, or do distances us from the Holy Ghost, then we should stop thinking, seeing, hearing, or doing that thing. If that which is intended to entertain, for example, alienates us from the Holy Spirit, then certainly that type of entertainment is not for us." ("That We May Always Have His Spirit to Be with Us," Ensign May 2006.)

Even if my music, movies, internet, and TV do measure up to that standard, there is another principle that I must keep in mind, one that is well articulated by Elder Oaks: "Just because something is good is not a sufficient reason for doing it. The number of good things we can do far exceeds the time available to accomplish them. Some things are better than good, and these are the things that should command priority attention in our lives." ("Good, Better, Best," Ensign Nov 2007.) Perhaps some of the time I ordinarily spend surfing, listening, or watching would be better spent with my family and my God.

I pray that we can all "be a little better," as President Hinckley encourages. As we sincerely take inventory of our lives and homes, the Spirit will help us to know where we can make changes to be more in line with the Lord and His will. As we make those changes, our faith will increase and our character will be strengthened. We will become more like our Father.

No comments: