Sunday, December 7, 2008

Editor's Note

I was grateful to go with my little family to see the Reflections of Christ exhibit at the Mormon Center, before Thanksgiving, and the rush of Christmas. It was the perfect note to start a season re-focusing on Christ.I appreciated the documentary about the process behind each photo. The experiences, and depth creating the exhibit added to the viewing we were to see after.The life of Jesus Christ is powerful. His humble beginnings, his divinity, and His sacrifice for us, always brings me to tears.

I used to think, naively, that when I had the chance to see him again I'd just want to run up to him and give him a huge hug. Several weeks ago Candice Jones spoke in sacrament meeting. She said that while we think of Christ as someone we can confide in, He is our Savior. He is glorious. So when we do get the chance to see Him again, we will probably not go in for a familiar hug, but fall at His feet, and worship Him.

All these thoughts echoed in my mind as we looked at the photos. I couldn’t help but feel gratitude, and the deep chasm of my debt, in the presence of God.My favorite photo is the one of John the Baptist and Jesus embracing after John baptizes Jesus. The rapturous joy in both faces made my heart leap.

That photo is a reminder of how I ought to feel each day because I have the gift of the gospel in my life.

I thought it was interesting that our Bishop, and our Elders Quorum president, individually chose testimony as a component of their messages in this issue. I think it’s especially fitting with our current events. In the wake of post-Proposition 8 reactions, and the economy, we are experiencing first hand, the stories we read in the Book of Mormon.

I used to read the Book of Mormon and look at the stories as merely what happened in the past. I assumed that they were there to teach us in an allegorical way, symbolic perhaps, but never thought that the challenges and sacrifices recorded in the Book of Mormon, would become our own.

In times like these we need testimony. I am grateful for wise leaders. I am grateful for our Prophet. I am grateful for our Savior who loves us. I enjoyed what Stan Bastian spoke about in sacrament meeting recently, about unconditional love. That our Savior loves us “even though”. That He loves us as we are, even though we are struggling, overcoming, and enduring.

I believe that God’s love can change us. The change isn’t often earth-shattering. I find it can take place in a simple change of desire, a spark of hope, a step-forward in the right direction.

This Christmas I’ve kept things simple. In fact, the three presents my girls get are wrapped, and under the tree. The stockings are already stuffed. I’m going to do an email Christmas greeting, and I’m not stressing about buying.buying.buying. I suppose I am a little grateful for the economic belt-tightening. With a spending freeze in our household, I am not stressed trying to find things to buy. We are enjoying stories, and time with our little family focused on whom we celebrate.

I also find that I’m seeking comfort in the scriptures. Comfort, also in my associations with those who believe in truth, and who work hard each day to live it. I guess I am also grateful for the fall-out from Proposition 8—it’s help me key-in on what is really important.

Simplifying, focusing and cutting out the excess fat of life that we don’t need. This Christmas I am grateful for the chance to clean house. The chance to see what I need to eliminate, and what I need to increase in my home for a more thoughtfully, measured celebration that can be sustained all-year-long. I am grateful for choices. I am grateful we can choose God. I am grateful that He chose to save us.

There’s a picture of Christ resurrected that is part of the Reflections of Christ exhibit. Christ is bathed in white, with his back to us. You can see the print of the nail in his right hand. It was this picture that Melia (who is two) and Kalea (age four) gravitated toward.

Me: Melia who is that?
Melia: Jesus.
Me: Do you love Jesus?
Melia: Yes, I want Jesus to come with me.
Me: What about you Kalea?
Kalea: I want to be like Jesus.

I am so grateful to my Savior. For His ability to love me as I am. I am so grateful to my husband. He always offers patience and unconditional love. I am so blessed to be a mother to my beautiful, precocious daughters. I suppose I am their special test... sometimes I think they raise me better than anyone could. I am so grateful for the truth of this gospel. I am grateful for testimonies—for the ebb and flow, and the opportunity to strengthen them. I hope this issue and this Christmas is more meaningful, and hopeful with Christ as our guide.


Cheers,
Stephanie Huang Porter

No comments: